[ESS] .emacs file seems not fully operative since upgrade from 22.3 to 24.3

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 20:38:12 CET 2012

  > I had been running emacs/ess version 22.3, Vince Goulet's modified
  > version, on WinXP. I am logged onto the machine as user ryanc, and my
  > .emacs file was (and still is) in C:\Documents and Settings\ryanc. I've
  > pasted it at the end of this message; it's not all that long.

  > I recently upgraded to Vince's modified version 23.4. I don't know if
  > that has any adverse effects on a pre-existing .emacs file, but since
  > the upgrade I've notice a couple problems:

>From 22.3 to 23.4 is quite jump of 6-7 years or so, probably you meant
23.3 :)

  > 1. Previously the default directory for creating a new file via C-x C-f
  > was C:/DATA, which is what I want. I think my .emacs file was
  > accomplishing that for me. Now, it defaults to C:\Documents and
  > Settings/ryanc

That was bothering me as well, it's probably a new "feature" of automatic
working directory detection. Juts put

(cd "C:\DATA\")

in your .emacs.

  > 2. When working in a Sweave .Rnw file, M-n Shift-P would run pdflatex.
  > Now, I am offered the default command texi2pdf.

Not sure about this one,  try:

(setq ess-swv-pdflatex-commands'("pdflatex" "make"))

Others might help you better here.

  > 3. I did not have auto-fill-mode turned on before. Now, my new emacs
  > 23.4 defaults to auto-fill-mode for any .txt or .Rnw file (and maybe
  > others too; I haven't explored that far yet.)  When I add

  > (setq auto-fill-mode 0)

  > to my .emacs file, it does not seem to have any effect--I still get Fill
  > mode.

Are you sure it's auto fill? May be it's visual-line-mode which is by
default from some pretty recent version of emacs. Try

(global-visual-line-mode -1)

HTH,
Vitalie.