[ESS] public git mirror?

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 22:22:56 CET 2012

  > I see the problem now; https://github.com/ess already exists for some
  > other "organization".  But, something weird is going on.  For example,
  > look at https://github.com/emacs and https://github.com/r-projectDo "subdirectories" make sense like https://github.com/emacs/ess?

Ess, emacs and r-project are all user accounts actually,and they are not
related in any way to what we think they should mean.

 There are at least 5 projects titled ESS and unrelated to us -
Efficient Subwindow Search, Employee Scheduling System :) etc, and also
another unofficial ess mirror at feng-li/ess.  So it looks like ess is
quite a popular name over there. Yet another reason to name our
"organization" explicitly.

As to subdirectories, there is https://github.com/emacsmirror/ess which,
as has been said, doesn't fulfill the requirements. First, that would
mean that the core developers will have to fork the project as any other
user. And other users will have to choose the developer to address pull
requests to - quite confusing. There must be a centralized project
location where all core developers can push and all pull request from
other users are directed to. This is exactly what the organizations on
github are for. Second, organizations, as compared to simple user
accounts, offer some additional features like teams and enhanced
permission control. Third reason to have our own "organization", instead
of being just a project on somebody's board, is that if we start a
related project (or split existing one), it will be part of the same
"organization" which is natural thing to be.

Vitalie.