[ESS] ess-remote and help

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 01:11:51 CET 2012

  >> Sebastian Luque <spluque at gmail.com>
  >> on Tue, 4 Dec 2012 09:32:05 -0600 wrote:

[...]

  > Perhaps do it conditionally on the session being remote.  I use this in
  > my ~/.Profile:

  > if (Sys.getenv("SSH_CONNECTION") != "") options(pager="cat")

This one is pretty non-intrusive indeed. The only inconvenience is that
it is limited to SSH. One might use M-x ess-remote on the local R
process running in *shell* buffer (I do). And it will work fine.

On windows options(pager="console") works fine in terminal R session. In
principle, on windows, we need not set it at all, it just works as
expected.

Currently, when cranking a subprocess, we are setting pager environment
variable to "cat". Thus, pager="cat" option directly in R (conditional
on saneOS) would not harm much, if at all.

    Vitalie