[ESS] Bugs (?) is ESS 12.09 (under Windows)

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 14:37:34 CET 2012

  >> Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri at syk.fi>
  >> on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 22:53:56 +0200 wrote:

[...]

  > The third problem is that under some (not so uncommon conditions,
  > because I have seen this happen several times), sending a piece of R
  > code from an .R-file to be evaluated via C-c C-b leaves the cursor in
  > the R interaction buffer in the middle of the buffer, not at the bottom
  > where the prompt is. This is very annoying, because you always need to
  > go to the end of buffer "manually" (the error seems to persist if it
  > happens once). But I can not reproduce this right now.

Since morning I am on this bug. I can reproduce it systematically in all
versions of emacs and in all versions of ESS, starting from the old
5.14.

It is a bug in emacs C-level function select-window, which recenters the
buffer for no clear reason, and thus moves the point. I don't know how
to reproduce it outside ESS. Thus cannot send emacs bug (as yet).

Select-window is called in the comint-postoutput-scroll-to-bottom. So
one solution for our problem is to prohibit this functionality by
setting comint-scroll-show-maximum-output to nil. Another solution is,
as I said in my previous mails, to set comint-move-point-for-output to t
or 'this.

The third solution is on ESS part, set ess-eval-visibly to nil or
'nowait (last one available in dev version).

    Best,
    Vitalie