[ESS] insert result in the current buffer?

Norm Matloff matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu
Fri Aug 31 19:52:40 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 01:36:13PM -0400, Tom Roche wrote:

> Sam Steingold Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM
> >> my usual workflow is to keep everything I ever type in a file-bound
> >> buffer and send stuff to the *R* buffer using C-c C-p or C-c C-j.
> >> sometimes I want to copy the result from *R* to the current buffer.
>
> Paul Johnson Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:05:44 -0500
> > Why do you want to copy R results into R code files
>
> Not that I know what OP mean, but ... I believe Johnson is misreading
> Steingold, who says he "keep[s] everything [he] ever type[s]" in a file.
> By which he probably means a log file, not (probably) an R code file. I
> do something similar, hence my interest in this thread.

That's the way I took it too.

Here's an example of what I often do:  I run simulations of something,
varying a parameter p.  I have my R code output the values of p and the
simulation output, one value of p per line.  By saving that in a file,
it easy to write code to produce a graph of the simulation output versus
p.

Norm