[ESS] insert result in the current buffer?

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 21:15:41 CEST 2012

I also think org-mode is the best for this type of things.

  >> Stephen Eglen <S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk>
  >> on Wed, 29 Aug 2012 19:29:15 +0100 wrote:

  >> my usual workflow is to keep everything I ever type in a file-bound
  >> buffer and send stuff to the *R* buffer using C-c C-p or C-c C-j.
  >> sometimes I want to copy the result from *R* to the current buffer.

Why not C-c C-c or C-M-x, faster and more powerful (especially from
today, check the HEAD:) ).

  >> I wish there were either
  >>
  >> 1. a separate command which would send stuff to *R* and then copy *R*
  >> output into the current buffer OR
  >>
  >> 2. C-u before an eval command would do that OR
  >>
  >> 3. a separate command which would copy the last output from *R* into the
  >> current buffer
  >>
  >> Any chance this is already available?

This has been asked before. Back then I wrote a quick lisp. May be it's
good to include it in ESS?

(defun ess-eval-line-or-region-in-place ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((buf (get-buffer-create " *ess-command-output*")))
    (if (not (and transient-mark-mode mark-active))
        ;; execute current line
        (ess-command (format "\n%s\n"  (buffer-substring (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol))) buf)
      ;; else - execute region
      (ess-command (format "\n%s\n"  (buffer-substring (mark) (point))) buf)
      (setq mark-active nil)
      (goto-char (max (mark) (point)))
      )
    (with-current-buffer buf
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (while (re-search-forward "^" nil t)
        (insert "## ")))
    (set-mark (point) )
    (end-of-line)
    (insert "\n")
    (insert-buffer-substring buf)
    (forward-line)
    ))

Does exactly what it says, if region is selected eval it and insert
after the code (commented), otherwise eval the current line.

        Vitalie