[ESS] ESS on CentOS 5 throwing errors

Emmanuel Levy emmanuel.levy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 13:51:09 CEST 2012

Hi Brian and Vitalie,

I uninstalled both emacs and xemacs with YUM, and reinstalled both of
them. Re-did the ess install, but I still got the same error messages.
I also try to install all possible emacs add-ons (yum install emacs*)
and this did not improve things.

> emacs -Q

xemacs opens a new file called -Q and emacs  tells me ¨unknown option -Q ¨

> How does that look?
>
> What about commenting out the '(require 'ess-site)'
> and then evaluating it when emacs is open:
>
> M-: (require 'ess-site)
> ; or
> M-: (load "~/.emacs.d/ess-12.04-4/lisp/ess-site.el")

It gives me the same error ¨cannot find executable¨

I know things work well with Ubuntu, this is a desktop machine and not
a server so Iĺl just convince the IT person that I cannot allow myself
to loose days of work because of the OS. If ESS is trouble I cannot
even imagine what its going to be with packages that depend on many
uncommon libraries.

Thanks for your help,

Emmanuel