[ESS] no color on functions that are R built in like "lm" or "mean"

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 11:02:38 CEST 2012

  >> Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com>
  >> on Wed, 8 Aug 2012 17:16:24 -0500 wrote:

  > On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 6:07 AM, Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit at gmail.com> wrote:
  >>
  >> Hi Paul,
  >>
  >> I have been using personal tweaks to highlight functions for years. And
  >> I must definitely say that it's a nice thing, as it helps distinguish
  >> what is what.  As far as I know all other editors also highlight
  >> functions.
  >>
  >> So I have just incorporated my font-lock tweaks into trunk. Feel free to
  >> check it out.

  > Thanks! I will try it.

  > My spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

  > In the trunk I get from this:

  > svn checkout https://svn.r-project.org/ESS/trunk

Yes, that is it.

  > I don't find anything you are referring to.

  > I find same thing I had found before,

  > ess-font-lock.el

This one is not even loaded in ESS by default. It's just a collection
of function to change the font-lock colors for some people's liking.

The work is mainly in ess-custom.el. But what are you doing? Copying one
specific file into your installation? This is not a right thing to do.
There might be dependencies and if you combine two different versions,
it will most surely break something.

Just put

 (load "/path/to/ESS/lisp/ess-site")

where /path/to/ESS/ is where you checked out your ESS. Then from time to
time do "svn update" in that directory to fetch the most recent version.

Vitalie.