[ESS] How to avoid search for versions of R

Heinz Tuechler tuechler at gmx.at
Fri Apr 20 21:56:47 CEST 2012

Dear All,

thank you for your responses. First of all, let me state that I did
not want to create so much traffic. What follows are some comments,
mostly off topic.

To me, after trying for hours to solve this question, it seemed
acceptable to post on ess-help. Based on my experience with emacs and
ess I expected this question to be trivial.
Admittedly, I am somewhat surprised that this search is not
customisable, as many other aspects are. In fact, I have several
versions of R installed, but not as the R community expects.
Therefore none of them is found.

Important for me is to state that Vincent Goulet is not responsible
for my difficulties, as I did not install his version. The main
reason was that maybe six, seven years ago I installed emacs togehter
with ess, org, and others and at that time I read enough of the
manuals to configure for my needs.

Rodney is often very helpful and I don't feel offended by his
response. He may have missunderstood my comment on e-lisp. I am not
against e-lisp, but I have other priorities, and I don't want to
study the manuals for hours just to save some seconds at start up of
emacs. This does certainly not mean that I expect others to do it for
me. I fully understand that Rodney expects ESS users 'knowing
"something" about emacs' and I would generally agree.

Back to the question.
Martin wrote:

(setq ess-r-versions nil)  ;;  *BEFORE* ess-site is loaded (!)

I put this line as second line immediately after the first line in my .emacs.23
;; -*- mode: Emacs-Lisp; mode:outline-minor; outline-regexp: ";;+ +" -*-
(setq ess-r-versions nil)  ;;  *BEFORE* ess-site is loaded (!)

Still I see in the Message buffer:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Finding all versions of R on your system...
Sorry, no version of R could be found on your system.

In case you wonder, why I use .emacs.23, this is, because I still
have also emacs 21.3.3 installed, and I did not know a better way to
maintain separate .emacs files for both versions.
Therefore I load emacs by "D:\emacs\emacs-23.3\bin\runemacs.exe --q
-l ~/.emacs.23".

Martin asked:
Are you sure that you set this *before* loading of ess-site?

No, I am not, but I don't know where else I could put it.
The line
(load "d:/emacs/ess-12.04/lisp/ess-site")
is in any case 200 lines furter down in the .emacs.23 file.

I tried also Vincent's suggestion, did not succeed, but this may
easily be my fault.

best thanks,

Heinz