[ESS] How to avoid search for versions of R

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Fri Apr 20 17:55:04 CEST 2012

Heinz Tuechler wrote:

> You see that I have very little knowledge about emacs lisp and I would
> prefer, not to need more of it. So I will try your suggestion and report
> the result.
>
> best regards,
>
> Heinz

I don't want to pick on Heinz.  He has an issue that should be
addressable.  But, his opine about e-lisp gives me a chance to honestly
communicate with ESS users at large.  To paraphrase the traffic cops:
ignorance of e-lisp is no excuse!  ESS is for statisticians who use
emacs and/or want to learn how to use emacs.  I appreciate that there
may be some out there who would just like to use ESS and not the rest of
the emacs machinery.  However, those people are NOT our target audience.
That doesn't mean that we are always going to say: RTFM.  We try our
best to answer as many questions as we can.  But, we do assume due
diligence on the part of the ESS users, i.e. knowing "something" about
emacs is a prerequisite (if you don't, then ESS might not be for you).

Rodney