[ESS] Feedback on 12.04

Marius Hofert marius.hofert at math.ethz.ch
Fri Apr 6 12:57:14 CEST 2012

Dear ESS maintainers,

I'm a big fan of ESS. I installed the latest version (12.04) this morning and here is my feedback.

The standard behavior to work in R is through scripts. Assume you have a buffer with an R script open, the file being foo.R.

1) Starting a buffer with a new R process can be done via C-c C-y. By doing so, the point remains in the newly created buffer with the running R process. It would be great if the point could automatically jump back to foo.R on executing C-c C-y. I would find this useful, although a workaround is to start the R process with C-c C-n (if no active R process is there, a new one will be asked for and started -- doing it this way the point remains in foo.R).

2) Assume again you are in the buffer containing the active R process. Issuing C-c C-q to close the buffer, the point (unfortunately) still remains in this buffer (instead of going back to foo.R). This is a bit annoying since, typically, one would like to jump to foo.R.

3) Similarly for killing an R process. One changes the active buffer from foo.R to the R process buffer and then hits C-x k. The point then remains in the killed R process buffer. In most of the cases, one would like to continue the work in foo.R and so it would be great if a C-x k would throw the point back to foo.R instead of remaining in the buffer with the killed R process.

Hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

Thanks a lot for the "automagically-jump-to-the-R-help-buffer-when-opening-help-files", it saves a lot of typing.

Cheers,

Marius

PS: my setup is: Mac OS X 10.7.3 on the latest MacBook Air with Emacs-pretest-24.0.91 from http://emacsformacosx.com/builds.