[ESS] proposal re: underscore

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Apr 4 23:09:01 CEST 2012

Vitalie Spinu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tend to agree with Jack, it's inconsistent across the modes. And
> unless you are using ESS only for R, it's a problem. This is why I am
> not using it myself. In any case I think smart-underscore should be
> smart-assignment instead, with an ability to be assigned it to any
> key. Once assigner to a key "x", pressing "x" twice should do whatever
> action was hijacked. I would probably like to assign it to "<". Jack's
> C-= idea is not bad ad all as that key is free, easy to type, and has
> intuitive meaning.
>
> What others think? May be we should put it to a vote.
>
> Vitalie.

Hi Vitalie:

I see no reason to change.  Of course, the ESS code-base can always be
improved (but, this would not even be on the improvement list for me).
If you must do it, then flexibility is always better, i.e. allowing
people to specify their hot-key and allowing the same mechanism to
operate in different modes as specified by the user.  Having said that,
I can only see ESS[S/R] and ESS[BUGS/JAGS] being interesting.  However,
if it is flexible, then users may try it in some way we haven't
anticipated (but, then, it would not have been tested in that way so it
might be of no benefit anyways).

Rodney