[ESS] XEmacs or GNU Emacs

Patrick Connolly p_connolly at slingshot.co.nz
Sun Sep 11 10:02:16 CEST 2011

On Fri, 07-Sep-2007 at 10:57AM -0700, David Stivers wrote:

|> On *nix systems, XEmacs looks much better and causes less
|> eyestrain, because it can use outline fonts (like pretty much every
|> other modern application) which support hinting.
|>
|> Gnu Emacs can only use zaggy bitmap fonts. There is some effort to

Like that word: zaggy!  They're mostly pretty awful.  I'm very happy
with Lucida Typewriter for GNU Emacs (using those old-fashioned
colours for foreground and background) and for bash command line.
Very easy on the eyes.  I'm not keen on any of the other fonts.  It
can be hard to find.  In fact I never found a way to get it into
Kubuntu, but Fedora is doable with some effort.  (There's probably a
way to convert the rpm into a deb but that's another topic).

|> bring Gnu Emacs into the 21st century in this regard, but I don't
|> know when it will succeed.

I gave up on Xemacs many years ago when I couldn't work out how to
stop it bringing up a menu when I tried to highlight a section of text
with a right button click.  Not being able to paste text with the
middle button made it useless for my purposes.  People clever than I
might be able to do that but it seems I backed the right horse in the
end.