[ESS] Hanging emacs with ESS and R (and regretting it)

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Tue Oct 18 18:28:39 CEST 2011

Hi Gang:

Before I start, I should preface my remarks by stating that I am using
ess-tracebug.  But, here's something that caught me by surprise.  When I
am editing an .R file and I submit the buffer (C-c C-b), occasionally,
emacs will hangs until completion.  I say "occasionally" because it
doesn't happen all the time (of course, you will still need to wait
until completion to see your results, but at least, emacs does not hang
and you can work on something else without opening in a new instance)...

Example 1: (does not hang)
Sys.sleep(15)

Example 2: (hangs)
Sys.sleep(10)
Sys.sleep(5)

Example 3: (does not hang)
{
Sys.sleep(10)
Sys.sleep(5)
}

Now, there may be a very good reason for this (or not, which would imply
that encasing multiple lines in brackets is just the "right thing to do"
and don't question it damn it).  Any thoughts?

Rodney