[ESS] r-related question: editing NAMESPACEd functions in packages

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Nov 17 21:44:41 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 15:53, Stephen Eglen <S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Thanks for adding this Vitalie.
>
>> In develper mode `ess-eval-function' (and frends) checks
>> if the function name could be found in the `ess-developer-packages'.  If
>> so, it assigns the function into the namespace using
>> 'assignInNamespace()'.
>> "C-M-d t" to toggle developer mode
>> "C-M-d a" to add a package to your development list (with C-u - remove)
>> "C-M-d r" to remove a package to your development list

well, guys,  I'm too busy to bring this up with my R core mates just now....
but note that the NEWS.Rd for  R-devel (2.15.0 to be) contains  for a
few weeks now

    o assignInNamespace() has further restrictions on use apart from at
      top-level, as its help page has warned.  Expect it to be disabled
      from programmatic use in the future.

which seems a bit severe .. and I think quite a bit adverse to our new
developer mode..
--> This is a topic to be discussed on the R-devel mailing list
(same address/URL as 'ess-help', just use 'r-devel' instead).

Martin