[ESS] Easy argument list: r-autoyas

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit.list at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 19:02:54 CET 2011

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> writes:

>     VS> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 12:21 PM, ottorino
>     VS> <ottorino-luca.pantani at unifi.it>wrote:
>
>     >> Hi all again,
>     >> it seems that yas interferes with the call to help pages.
>     >> If I call from the R buffer
>     >> ?read.table
>     >> In the buffer contained in the new help frame I get
>
>     VS> Error: can't find the function ".help.ESS"
>     >>
>     VS> It's because ESS installs .help.ESS after the post-run hook
>     VS> withought waiting for the prompt (thing what I would
>     VS> personally consider to be almost a bug).
>
> Hmm, .. yes.  A patch is welcome ...

May I suggest to introduce dedicated post-run hooks like

ess-R-post-run-hook, ess-SAS-post-run-hook etc.

and execute them just before the exit of "R","SAS" etc. functions.

Then users and packages designed with R in mind can use the R-post-run-hook
to inject the code and not damage the sensitive core code which is installed
directly in the "R" function.

Ess-post-run-hook is just too generic for this purpose and is not executed
(opposite to what the name suggests) at the very end of the process startup.

> and if I'll end up finding some more time I'd also be very happy
> to try the other nice innovations that you (ess-tracebug) and
> Sven (r-autoyas) have recently made available.
> These are definitely features and ideas that ideally should be made
> available and be well integrated with  ESS .. unless you
> disagree.

Will be really glad to see ess-tracebug as part of ESS. It will
probably take some time though. First, it's not feature complete
yet. Second, integration will probably require a closer look form an ESS
core, since I am redefining some fundamental pieces (such as process filters
and ess-command). Also XEmacs is pending because it seems not to support the
essential process-plist functionality yet.

Vitalie.