[ESS] ess eval invisibly only for large blocks

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit.list at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 21:19:17 CET 2011

Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> writes:

>> Hi Rodney,
>>
>> The replacement string is a user variable "ess-long+replace" which by
>> default is "+ ... + ". Only long + + + prompts (more than 3 +s) are replaced.
>>
>> This behavior is controlled by inferior-ess-replace-long+  (by default
>> t), so instead of a very long prompt you should see something like:
>>
>>> + ... +
>>> + ... +
>>> + ... +>
>> unless you are using  an older version of ess-tracebug.
>>
>> Thanks for looking into it on XEmacs. I was planning to do it myself some
>> day, but it was quite a low priority because of a feeling that there are not
>> so many ESS users on XEmacs platform.
>>
>>> To make it work for XEmacs, you need the following at the top:
>>> ;(require 'face-remap nil t) ;; desirable for scaling of the text in ...
>>> ;(require 'ido nil t) ;; desirable for debug/undebug at point function
>> Face-remap and ido are optional as the third argument t indicates. But it
>> seems that XEmacs' 'require' does not have the third "no-error"
>> argument.
>>
>> What would be an application independent way of dealing with the above
>> 'requires'?
>>
> (if (featurep 'xemacs) nil (require 'face-remap nil t)
>>> (require 'cl) ;; a couple of useful functions
>>> (require 'overlay)
>>>
>> Thanks, added this to the code.
>>
>>> (if (boundp 'overlay-arrow-variable-list) nil
>>>    (defvar overlay-arrow-variable-list nil))
>>>
>> This variable is not used anywhere and was a forgotten remnant from
>> previous versions, now deleted; so the above is not needed anymore.
>>
>>> And, you need (if (featurep 'fringe) ) around calls to fringe-mode
>>> features.
>> I am unhappy to hear what fringe functionality is not available on
>> XEmacs. It's a pity, since all the breakpoints and fringe arrows are using
>> left fringe for position indication. Not having them is quite a sizable lack
>> of functionality:(
>>
>> Vitalie.
> That's a temporary workaround.  By the way, I forgot to mention that
> you also need to replace (compilation-setup t) by (compilation-minor-mode t)
> And, here's another...
> (if (fboundp 'process-put) nil
>   (defun process-put (process propname value)
>   "Change PROCESS' PROPNAME property to VALUE.
> It can be retrieved with `(process-get PROCESS PROPNAME)'."
>   (set-process-plist process
>              (plist-put (process-plist process) propname value))))
>
> But, here I'm stuck since we also need set-process-plist which is,
> unfortunately, a C coded function.  XEmacs is in the process of
> upgrading their packages to the latest Emacs versions.  Once that
> happens, then I'll re-visit this.

Oh I see now that XEmacs is lacking the fundamental 'process-plist'
functionality. I am afraid we will have to wait for XEmacs to upgrade, there
is no easy workaround for that functionality.

For time being, here is the adapted excerpt from ess-tracebug which provides
the + + + replacement:

(defvar inferior-ess-replace-long+ t
  "If non-nil,  '+ + + + ' prompt containing more than 3 + is replaced by `ess-long+replace'"
  )

(defvar ess-long+replace "+ ... + \n"
  "Replacement used for long + prompt."
  )

(defun inferior-ess-output-filter (proc string)
  "Standard output filter for the inferior ESS process.
Ring Emacs bell if process output starts with an ASCII bell, and pass
the rest to `comint-output-filter'.
Taken from octave-mod.el."
  (if inferior-ess-replace-long+
      (setq string (replace-regexp-in-string
                    ess-long+replace string))
    )
  (comint-output-filter proc (inferior-ess-strip-ctrl-g string)))

Vitalie.