[ESS] ESS: running blocks of script very slow

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit.list at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 21:19:01 CET 2011

Matthew Landis <landis at isciences.com> writes:

> For what it's worth, I'll second Kasper's recommendation.  The performance
> difference is dramatic, but I do miss being able to see the code blocks I've
> submitted.  Is there any way to have both?

Why do you want to see you code? The point jumps to the end of submitted
region for all "& step" commands. And ess-eval-region (C-c C-r) sends the
region which is already selected. So in both cases it's quite clear what you
send.

Everything in ESS what evaluates visibly is very slow. It send each line and
wait for it to actually appear at the R prompt. So there is no way for it to
be made faster.

By the way, this is so frequently asked question that I believe it's worth
starting ESS FAQ just for it alone:)

Vitalie.