[ESS] Viewing data frames

Mathieu Basille basille at ase-research.org
Wed Mar 2 00:52:36 CET 2011

Dear Stephen,

Sorry for the late answer: debugging took me some time as I had to go
from home to work and back, using .RData files on 2 different computers.
You were actually right: ess-execute-screen-options is actually executed
as expected, even with large .RData files. My mistake. I generally use a
remote access to my work machine through ssh, and I have then to launch
R manually. Thus the manual execution of ess-execute-screen-options
which totally confused me... Sorry for the noise.

However, I still have troubles with ess-execute-screen-options. On a
large screen, if R opens in a buffer in the right column, the width of R
is adjusted to the whole window. I have to adjust it by hand a
posteriori with ess-execute-screen-options, which now adjusts to the
buffer width. Not sure why the buffer width is not taken into account on
R launch, as the R console confirms that screen options are used.

With a fresh .emacs, it seems that it conflicts somehow with

(setq inferior-ess-same-window nil)

which actually opens the R buffer below the editing buffer, or on the
right if the screen is large enough (great behaviour btw!). I also
noticed that 'C-c w' no longer work with my setting, while I was sure it
worked before... Weird.

Mathieu.

--

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, Post-Doc

~$ locate
Laboratoire d'Écologie Comportementale et de Conservation de la Faune
+ Centre d'Étude de la Forêt
Département de Biologie
Université Laval, Québec

~$ info
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
``If you can't win by reason, go for volume.''
Calvin, by Bill Watterson.