[ESS] Difficulty starting R after OS upgrade!

gerald.jean at dgag.ca gerald.jean at dgag.ca
Tue Jun 7 14:49:55 CEST 2011

> well, the above says it "all":
> - You have an .RData  file that is trying to be loaded
>   (in my view a proficient ESS user should never work with session .RData
..
>    the source is real;  expensive objects should be save()d and
> load()ed / attach()ed explicitly)

Thanks Martin, you were right.  But, by the way, I ALWAYS start R in the
same directory which contains ONE single small object, namely, a list of
workspaces to which the R session is linked, through Mark Bravington's
mvbutils package, at request AND objects from the linked workspaces are
loaded only upon request, i.e. when doing something with them.

I totally agree with you that working with session's .RData is a big waste
of resources, time and memory; in my opinion, the biggest weakness of R! (I
know, a lot of people don't agree, its OK!)

> Regards,
> Martin

Thanks again,

Gérald Jean
Conseiller senior en statistiques,
VP Actuariat et Solutions d'assurances,
Desjardins Groupe d'Assurances Générales
télephone            : (418) 835-4900 poste (7639)
télecopieur          : (418) 835-6657
courrier électronique: gerald.jean at dgag.ca

"We believe in God, others must bring Data."

W. Edwards Deming