[ESS] Viewing data frames

Sun Feb 27 20:34:50 CET 2011

Hi,

Some aggressive quote trimming follows:

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Stephen Eglen
<S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> hi Sven,
>
> Sven Hartenstein <lists at svenhartenstein.de> wrote:
[snip]
> It might be possible to get *R* to update  its current window width
> from Emacs;  it can be gained quite easily from Emacs using the call:
>
>  (window-width)
>
> There is even a hook, window-configuration-change-hook, that we can
> probably use to tell *R* to update the width option upon resize.  Would
> anyone be interested inthat behaviour?

I think that'd be quite helpful -- not for emacs to resize R's width
automagically (though some might like an option for that), but to have
a function that tells R to set options(width=(window-width)) or some
such that we can bind to a key-combo.

> Finally, if your data frame is wider even that what you can view
> width-wise on an Emacs window, you might just have to resort to saving
> as .csv and then use something like csv-mode.el:
>
> ;;; csv-mode.el --- major mode for editing comma-separated value files
>
> ;; Copyright (C) 2003, 2004 Francis J. Wright

That's an interesting idea -- never thought of that before (I don't
think I knew emacs had a special csv mode actually .. will have to
explore).

Thanks,
-steve

--