[ESS] .emacs code no longer working

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Fri Feb 25 01:12:49 CET 2011

I have just now installed Vincent Goulet's emacs for MacOS X.
(I had been using Carbon Rmacs.)  I find however that various
settings in my .emacs  \file no longer work.

In particular, I had it set up so that I could type ESC-x R32 to get 32-bit R,
R64 to get 64-bit R.  I can use only ESC-x R.   I am guessing that at least
part of the  problem is that ess-site is loaded before the following statements
appear:

(setq-default inferior-R-program-name "R32")	    ; unix systems
(setq ess-r-versions '("R-2" "R32" "R64"))
(require 'ess-site)
(require 'ess-font-lock)

ESC-x font-lock-mode does not work; I get
<<<
Shell: /bin/bash
Warning: Login shell did not return environment.
0 environment variables imported from login shell (/bin/bash).
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Unable to load color "darkblue" [2 times]
Unable to load color "dark cyan"
Making completion list...
Font-Lock mode disabled

Thanks

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm