[ESS] how to override site install of ESS?

Erik Iverson eriki at ccbr.umn.edu
Mon Feb 14 18:40:34 CET 2011

<snip>

>         However, this procedure doesn't work on my Ubuntu machine at
>         work, which has
>         ESS 5.7.1 loaded by sysadmin control -- at startup, emacs always
>         loads the
>         5.7.1 version of ess-site stored in /etc/emacs/site-start.d.
>          This appears
>         to mean that my .emacs file settings have no effect, and that
>         5.7.1 is
>         always run instead of, say 5.13.

Did you try Rodney's suggestion of not loading the admin's emacs site
file?

It seems to me that loading an ancient version of ESS is not something
that belongs in the the site-wide Emacs init file...

But sure enough, looking at the line that starts emacs in my openbox
config script, I have:

emacs --no-site-file

because of the exact same reason you describe above, I merely
forgot I had to do that.  Otherwise, a ~4 year old version of ESS
would be loaded for me...

The upshot: Rodney's suggestion should work.

--Erik