[ESS] Yet another indentation question: indentation after parenthese

Mathieu Basille basille at ase-research.org
Fri Dec 23 02:23:38 CET 2011

Tim,

Le 22/12/2011 14:07, Tim Hesterberg a écrit :
> format R code.
>
> I have to throw in a caution about using R's formatting.  It is often
> misleading.
> Here's one example:

I agree that R's formatting can be confusing some time, and this is a nice
example. However, my intend was not to determine the best formatting ever.
There are some guidelines out there with this specific aim, e.g. the
Google's R style guide [1] or the R coding conventions by H. Bengtsson [2],
and ESS's own style probably does not follow exactly either of them.

But given the fact that every base R code get formatted the R way, I
believe it is interesting to have the possibility to format any code the
same way! And Vitalie's function is just perfect for this, since it
directly uses the R parser...

Best,
Mathieu.

[1] https://google-styleguide.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/google-r-style.html

[2] http://www1.maths.lth.se/help/R/RCC/

>> as.matrix.default
> function (x, ...)
> {
>      if (is.matrix(x))
>      else array(x, c(length(x), 1L), if (!is.null(names(x)))
>          list(names(x), NULL)
>      else NULL)
> }
> <environment: namespace:base>
>
> This formatting suggests that the structure is:
>
> if(condition)
>    result1
> else if(condition)
>    result2
> else
>    result3
>
> Better would be:
>
> function (x, ...)
> {
>    if (is.matrix(x))
>    else
>      array(x, c(length(x), 1L),
>            if (!is.null(names(x)))
>              list(names(x), NULL)
>            else
>              NULL)
> }
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, Post-Doc

~$ locate
Laboratoire d'Écologie Comportementale et de Conservation de la Faune
+ Centre d'Étude de la Forêt
Département de Biologie
Université Laval, Québec

~$ info
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
``If you can't win by reason, go for volume.''
Calvin, by Bill Watterson.