[ESS] help with error in ess-site.el

georgina.bermann at novartis.com georgina.bermann at novartis.com
Sat Apr 30 02:26:18 CEST 2011

I have posted the same error earlier, and I would like a suggestion on how
to fix the ess-site.el file [ess-5.13].  The error appears in Section 2.1
Starts with the ess-sqpe-versions etc in the section pasted below: a
compilation indicates that the symbol's definition is void ess-uniq-list

(let ((R-newest-list '("R-newest"))
      (ess-s-versions-created (if ess-microsoft-p
                                  (nconc
                                   (ess-sqpe-versions-create
ess-SHOME-versions)               ;; 32-bit
                                   (ess-sqpe-versions-create
ess-SHOME-versions-64 "-64-bit")) ;; 64-bit
                                (ess-s-versions-create)))) ;; use
ess-s-versions
  (if ess-microsoft-p
      (setq ess-rterm-version-paths ;; (ess-find-rterm))
            (ess-flatten-list
             (ess-uniq-list
              (if (getenv "ProgramW6432")
                  (let ((P-1 (getenv "ProgramFiles(x86)"))
                        (P-2 (getenv "ProgramW6432")))
                    (nconc
                     ;; always 32 on 64 bit OS, nil on 32 bit OS
                     (ess-find-rterm (concat P-1 "/R/") "bin/Rterm.exe")
                     (ess-find-rterm (concat P-1 "/R/")
"bin/i386/Rterm.exe")
                     ;; keep this both for symmetry and because it can
happen:
                     (ess-find-rterm (concat P-1 "/R/")
"bin/x64/Rterm.exe")

                     ;; always 64 on 64 bit OS, nil on 32 bit OS
                     (ess-find-rterm (concat P-2 "/R/") "bin/Rterm.exe")
                     (ess-find-rterm (concat P-2 "/R/")
"bin/i386/Rterm.exe")
                     (ess-find-rterm (concat P-2 "/R/")
"bin/x64/Rterm.exe")
                     ))
                (let ((PF (getenv "ProgramFiles")))
                  (nconc
                   ;; always 32 on 32 bit OS, depends on 32 or 64 process
on 64 bit OS
                   (ess-find-rterm (concat PF "/R/") "bin/Rterm.exe")
                   (ess-find-rterm (concat PF "/R/") "bin/i386/Rterm.exe")
                   (ess-find-rterm (concat PF "/R/") "bin/x64/Rterm.exe")
                   ))
                )))))

If I comment out the region, and try to edit a noweb file (Rnw) it will
not load it. I have tried with a number of other earlier versions, but
always seem to encounter problems with the microsoft version names and
definitions. I use XEmacs 21.4 (patch 8) under windows nt. 5.13 works
perfectly with XEmacs 21.4 (another patch number) under Linux -but in this
environment it refuses to work.
Earlier I could bypass these problems but commenting out regions with
error messages, but now I cannot fix the problem without messing up
dependencies that are needed to get the noweb-mode working. I run a lisp
evaluation of almost all files, and the only complaint I found (besides
ess-site.el) was in the ess.el file (ess-write-to-dribble-buffer got
redefined).
I have an old version of ess (2002) installed with this ancient XEmacs
version we run, but it fails just with these files apparently it enters an
endless loop (I am attaching acopy of the *ESS* buffer).  Either fixing
this version to get it to edit as it should, or fix the ess-site.el in
5.13 would be a solution.
I would very much appreciate some help as I am heavily dependent on ESS
editing help with Rnoweb files.

Best regards, Mit freundlichen Grüssen, Meilleures salutations,
Georgina Bermann PhD
Senior Expert Statistician
Novartis Pharma AG
CHBS, WSJ-158.5.49.1