[ESS] Installing ESS on CentOS?

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Oct 27 22:49:22 CEST 2010

  On 27/10/10 22:53, Andrei Jirnyi wrote:
> RHEL5 also has 21.4 btw; SUSE EL seems to have 22.3 but I have hard time
> imagining the system admin switching the OS to accomodate a user request for
> a newer emacs version :)
>
> --aj

I am using CentOS as well. It ships with very old versions all round as
others have said. I have sudo access but not root access and I installed
Emacs 23.2.1 myself. I just hunted round for an rpm (maybe even got that
from Emacs itself), hunted around for instructions on installing an rpm
(yes I am pretty clueless on this stuff not to know how to install an
rpm), and away it went. For ESS just followed the instructions, ditto
for AUCTeX.

The main problem for me has been the myriad of RedHat and related linux
versions. I was told to take Fedora 13 rpm's to install on CentOS, which
seems to basically work. No knowledge of Python however---I don't use it.

David