[ESS] UseR 2011 Tutorial on ESS?

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 18 11:22:40 CEST 2010

Dear all,
as the next useR meeting will be in the UK, I am thinking of organising
a tutorial as part of that meeting.

  http://www.warwick.ac.uk/statsdept/useR-2011/

Tony (Rossini) organised one a few years ago which covered the following
topics:

  \begin{enumerate}
  \item Introduction (now, 15 minutes)
  \item Using Emacs (45 minutes)
  \item Using ESS (60 minutes)
  \item Exercise 1: ESS
  \item Exercise 2: Sweave
  \item Emacs extensions (30 minutes)
  \item Emacs Lisp (30 minutes)
  \item Discussion and Misc Topics (related Emacs tools, ESS extensions,
  future designs)
  \end{enumerate}

I think that covers pretty much the material I'd first think of
covering, with a few queries:

- should it be assumed that users have prior experience to Emacs?

- as well as Sweave, I'd like to cover Org mode and its framework for
  literate programming, which I think is quite nice (babel).

I need to submit the proposal before 29th October.  So if you have any
suggestions for what you'd like to see in the tutorial, please email!

Stephen