[ESS] Emacs 23.2 and ESS and font-lock support.

gerald.jean at dgag.ca gerald.jean at dgag.ca
Fri Nov 5 17:45:10 CET 2010

Hello,

recently our IT has upgraded Emacs from 22.3 to 23.2.  I am slowly
recovering!  One last thing I have problems with is the colors of the
font-lock keywords in ESS.  Some words in functions arguments, for example
"TRUE" or "FALSE" or "NULL" appear in a color so pale that I can't read
them.

If I go in customize > faces > font lock > font lock faces > font lock type
face and customize it to a suitable color for my display and then click on
color is changed for the current session but when I restart Emacs it's back
to the old settings.  Customize has written the following lines in my
.emacs file:

(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 '(default ((t (:inherit nil :stipple nil :background "LightBlue"
:foreground "Maroon" :inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil
:overline nil :underline nil :slant normal :weight bold :height 137 :width
normal :foundry "b&h" :family "lucidatypewriter"))))
 '(dired-header ((t (:inherit default :foreground "OrangeRed"))))
 '(font-lock-type-face ((t (:foreground "OrangeRed"))))
 '(outline-5 ((t (:inherit font-lock-type-face :foreground "OrangeRed")))))

The other settings do stick around but not the "font-lock-type-face".  Any
idea why it is so?

Thanks,

Gérald Jean
Conseiller senior en statistiques,
VP Actuariat et Solutions d'assurances,
Desjardins Groupe d'Assurances Générales
télephone            : (418) 835-4900 poste (7639)
télecopieur          : (418) 835-6657
courrier électronique: gerald.jean at dgag.ca

"We believe in God, others must bring Data."

W. Edwards Deming