[ESS] problems with curly braces { }

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Thu May 27 20:31:13 CEST 2010

Hello,

I am not very experienced with Emacs so my apologies if this is a
stupid question.  Right now I am running:

Windows (XP x32 at school; 7 x64 at home)
XEmacs version 21.4.22
ESS version 5.9.1

When I have .R files open, I generally have these modes:
ess-roxy-mode
font-lock-mode
line-number-mode

When I try to type something like:

for(i in index) {
data <- otherdata[i]
}

It will not let me type the closing } on the bottom line.  It is not a
problem if I type it on the line above, but I cannot use it on an
empty line.  The error is:

"Wrong type of argument: char-or-string-p, #keypress-event }>"

I read that lisp will throw that error if the wrong type of object is
used as a function argument, and I gather that it was looking for a
character or string object.  What I am not certain about is why is "}"
not a character or string?  What function is it being used in that
does not like it?  Why does it work as long as there is something on
the line already?

Oh, also it does not replicate if I am just using the default scratch
buffer in XEmacs.

Thanks,

Josh

--