[ESS] \Sexp{} problem, how to add syntax="SweaveSyntaxNoweb" option to M-n s?

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 23 21:30:48 CET 2010

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2010, at 7:20 AM, Werner W. wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am currently getting into Emacs & ESS on Windows and it starts to
>> feel like a very nice environment to program in R and Sweave. However,
>> I have a little problem: is it possible to add the option
>> syntax="SweaveSyntaxNoweb" to the issued command when pressing M-n s?
>> Right now I always get an "Undefined control sequence" error from the
>> latex compiler since Sweave is not replacing the \Sexpr{} command at
>> all. I know that this is no problem when I add the above option. I
>> looked at the ess-swv.el file but could figure out how to add an
>> option. It would be great if someone had a hint towards the solution
>> for me.

I doubt that this solves the problem with \Sexpr{}, but you can copy

ess-swv-run-in-R into your .emacs file , (possibly) rename it,  and edit
the line

 	"local({..od <- getwd(); setwd(%S); %s(%S); setwd(..od) })"

to add whatever options you want. I use this strategy to force use of the
weaver() driver:

        "local({..od <- getwd(); require(weaver);setwd(%S); %s(%S,driver=weaver()); setwd(..od) })"

which command I renamed 'ess-swv-run-weaver-in-R'. Then with

(defun ess-swv-weave-weaver ()
    "Run Sweave on the current .Rnw file."
    (interactive)
    (ess-swv-run-weaver-in-R "Sweave"))

(define-key noweb-minor-mode-map "\M-n\M-s" 'ess-swv-weave-weaver)

I can type M-n M-s and force use of the weaver driver

>> Thanks so much,
>>  Wern
>

> Typically, when the \Sexpr's are not being evaluated, that is being
> replaced with a scalar, it is an indication that the sweave.sty file is
> not being found, as it is in that file, that the relevant code is
> located.

Huh?

> cat("Select a letter:\\Sexpr{sample(letters,1)}\n",file="oneLetter.Rnw")
> Sweave("oneLetter.Rnw")
Writing to file oneLetter.tex
Processing code chunks ...

You can now run LaTeX on 'oneLetter.tex'
> readLines("oneLetter.tex")
[1] "Select a letter:r"

> Sweave("oneLetter.Rnw",syntax="SweaveSyntaxNoweb")
Writing to file oneLetter.tex
Processing code chunks ...

You can now run LaTeX on 'oneLetter.tex'
> readLines("oneLetter.tex")
[1] "Select a letter:g"

\Sexpr{} inserts the result into the tex file with either the default
options or syntax="SweaveSyntaxNoweb"

And I get a similar result when I open oneLetter.Rnw with emacs and type
M-n s.

Does Sweave.sty really figure into this??

HTH,

Chuck