[ESS] How to stop highlighting after eval-region

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Mar 22 12:17:47 CET 2010

    RoSp> On 03/17/10 03:10 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:
    LA> Try customizing the variable ess-eval-deactivate-mark
    LA> and set it to t (M-x customize-variable
    LA> ess-eval-deactivate-mark).

    LA> (IMO, it should be true by default).

    >> *defaults* >> of functions I write (in R, or Emacs lisp,
    >> ...): >> In theory, all calls of such a function (which
    >> does not >> explicitly set the option explicitly) would
    >> have to be >> reconsidered...

    >> have >> activated "transient mark mode" aka >> "Active
    >> Region Highlighting" >> ( = first entry of Emacs menu
    >> 'Options' )

    RoSp> Perhaps I'm being dense, but does this actually fix
    RoSp> the problem?  I haven't seen a response from Jason.
    RoSp> And the circumstances of his problem would suggest not
    RoSp> (it worked before, but after an upgrade of ESS, it
    RoSp> doesn't).

    >> well, I guess he updated ESS and Emacs at the same time,
    >> or changed his emacs configurations slightly, possibly
    >> inadvertently...
    >>
    >> It's definitely true that the ess-eval-deactivate-mark
    >> variable controls the behavior we are talking about.
    >>
    >> Jason, can you please try the recommendation and publicly
    >> confirm (or deny) that it helps ?

    RoSp> As this seems to be an Emacs-only issue, I can see no
    RoSp> objection provided it is actually needed and
    RoSp> sufficiently tested.

    >> Thanks.  .. Of course "sufficiently tested" maybe too
    >> hard: We (ESS developers) have only a few incantations of
    >>     >> Emacs that we use regularly, and there are not too many
    >> ESS users volunteering to work with the devel-version of
    >> ESS on a regular basis.
    >>
    >> Martin.

I have now changed the default in the development (aka
"subversion") version of ESS such that
there and hence in the next released version of ESS,

      ess-eval-deactivate-mark

is 't' by default.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich