[ESS] install.packages() fails on Windows 7; can't choose CRAN mirror

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 22:33:42 CEST 2010

Can you try install.packages on Windows 7 to see if you hit this same trouble?

On a Win 7 system we have the newest Emacs / ESS from Prof Goulet's
website. ESS is version 5.10.

We run into a problem similar to the "File Chooser" panel won't work
problem that existed in older ESS. Remember when R would ask you to
choose a working directory and it would not let  you pick one?  Now a
similar happens, but it won't pop up a menu chooser.  When we run
install.packages("xyz"), the *R* window stops saying select CRAN
mirror, nothing ever pops up to let us choose a site.

Emacs appears "stuck".   We have to open the ordinary Rgui and run
install.packages.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson