[ESS] ESS usage poll

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 04:14:45 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Stephen Eglen
<S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> hi Paul, I think you mean C-c TAB, as Deepayan said, rather than just
> C-TAB:
>
> C-c TAB runs the command ess-complete-object-name, which is an
> interactive compiled Lisp function in `ess-inf.el'.
>
> (within a .R buffer)

OK. There's some progress.  C-c TAB will complete R commands in the .R buffer.

It will not complete file names, though. In the *R* buffer, typing
read.table("what followed by TAB will complete the file "what...".

But the result of C-c TAB is not exactly the same thing I had in mind.
In JGR there's a popup of the syntax guide.

I'm pretty sure Emacs can do it, because today I saw Emacs on  MS
Windows doing that exact thing. I was helping some students and the MS
Windows version of Emacs/ESS from Prof Goulet's site has that "popup"
feature. When they were typing commands in the R script buffer, a
small "tip" would appear at the bottom of the frame showing the
command's full syntax.  Is that a windows only feature?

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science