[ESS] ESS usage poll

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 16:51:30 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> wrote:
> Hi Gang:
>
> 1. Which statistical package(s) do you use with ESS?
> (specify the version number)
>
> ____2.11______ R
> _____________ S-plus
> __9.2________ SAS
> _____________ Stata
> __2.01_______ JAGS
> _____________ BUGS
> _____________ Other, specify ________________
>

> 2. Which version(s) of emacs do you use?
> (specify the version number)
>
> ____23.2______ GNU Emacs
> _____________ Aquamacs
> _____________ XEmacs
> _____________ SXEmacs
> _____________ Other, specify ________________
>

> 3. Which operating system(s) do you use?
> (specify the version number and/or variant)
>
> _____Ubuntu/Redhat____ Linux
> ____Some_________ Windows
> _____________ Mac OS X
> _____________ Solaris/OpenSolaris
> _____________ AIX
> _____________ HP-UX
> _____________ FreeBSD
> _____________ Other, specify ________________
>

> 4. If you could only request one feature, what would it be?

1. Please make the "history of commands" that shows with C-up include
every command that has been sent over to R, not just the ones that are
manually typed into the *R* buffer.

Since I've asked for that before, I don't think that should count
against my limit of one.  :) The other thing I've wanted in ESS is now
in the R gui "JGR".

2. When you are typing commands in the "Script Frame", I wish tab
completion and "hints" would appear.  Perhaps I have ESS installed
incorrectly, but I don't see that in the Emacs script file.   In
Emacs/ ESS,  I get tab completion of commands & filenames *R* buffer,
but not in the editor that has the .R file.  Know what I mean?

ps:

I've just learned that Windows R has a simple editor included with it.
Well, that's different. When did they do that? Heck.  I used to have
all Windows students install Emacs because R had no built in editor.
I've been doing some soul searching about whether the new users
"really need" Emacs and ESS.  Their editor is not featured very well,
but it is an editor.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science