[ESS] Font locking in *R* {was "ESS usage poll"}

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Jun 14 15:12:21 CEST 2010

    RMH> My experience is that error messages in the *R* buffer often include an open
    RMH> double-quote (")
    RMH> and are truncated before the matching close double-quote.

    RMH> I think an appropriate repair is for ESS to detect when a new prompt '> ' is
    RMH> issued
    RMH> and insert whatever balancing character is needed to make the font-locking
    RMH> rational again.

That (looking for missing pairs of (single|double|back)quote characters,
      and artificially add one)
would be an alternative, yes.
It's slightly more complicated perhaps, and intruding, too, as
would really *change* the output from R.

Of course we could also implement both options,...
the question in either case is to find an elegant (maintenance!)
and robust way to implement it at all, first...

Martin