[ESS] Weirdness after system("phpscript")

Sven Hartenstein lists at svenhartenstein.de
Sat Jul 31 08:51:36 CEST 2010

Dear ESS users and developers,

I experience problems with ESS after running a php script by use of
the system() function. I can't find this problem with any non-php
script.

Two things change after calling system(): First, in the R process
buffer the commands are suddenly echoed like this:

> x <- 1:4
> t <- system("/some/phpscript.php", intern=TRUE)
> x <- 1:4  # the following line should not be there
x <- 1:4
> x  # the following line should not be there
[1] 1 2 3 4

Second, when I now create a help buffer, each line ends with a visible
"^M". An encoding problem?

Both is very annoying and I have no clue where the problem is coming
from. It happens with and without "intern=TRUE", it happens with
direct call of a PHP script and even when calling a bash script that
itself calls the PHP script. But not when calling other bash scripts
that would not internally call a PHP script. It happens with ESS 5.4
and ESS-5.11 on Ubuntu 9.10 as well as ESS 5.7.1 on Ubuntu 10.4.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Sven