[ESS] Misread quotes in .Rnw files

A.J. Rossini blindglobe at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 10:07:08 CEST 2010

can't help with the real problem, but...

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D.
<therneau at mayo.edu> wrote:

> PS Overall the mode is a delight to use.  Kudos to the designers.

I don't know why this statement rubs me completely the wrong way this
morning (though I have a suspicion, see below)...

amazing how a basically 14 year old piece of software has worked well
over the years, even predating Sweave and the compendiums and the rest
of the derived stuff by 4+ years.  I gave my first talk on that mode
and approaches for using it in 1997, after having used it for my
teaching and research before that....

Now I'm not going to get started on the stupid academic review process
which continually rejected a number of papers by the original authors,
while accepting other work which failed to appropriately cite this bit
of code (which along with a unreviewed piece from an old DSC, form the
initial published body of work on literate statistics, beyond literate
programming -- differentiation of making the analysis literate, and
not just the code).

Sigh. I suspect that the heat wave here in Basel along with the lack
of air conditioning in my new office is making me old and grumpy.

best,
-tony

blindglobe at gmail.com
Muttenz, Switzerland.
"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we
can easily roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).

Drink Coffee:  Do stupid things faster with more energy!