[ESS] ESS and Windows 7

Daniel Nordlund djnordlund at verizon.net
Sat Jan 30 21:43:49 CET 2010

I am new to Emacs, ESS, and Windows 7 (long-time user of WinXP).  I installed R and Vincent Goulet's emacs-23.1-modified-4.exe in the default locations.  R starts fine and Gnu Emacs seems to run ok.

But when I start Emacs, load an R code file, and try to start an inferior R session (either using the R menu icon or M-x R, asks for "starting data directory?"  I have found no way to continue on from there.  Trying to accept the default results in either nothing happening, or an error message

 "apply: Spawning child process: invalid argument".

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

Dan

Daniel Nordlund
Bothell, WA USA