[ESS] Emacs Modified updated to ESS 5.7.1

Vincent Goulet Vincent.Goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Mon Jan 4 18:57:21 CET 2010

Dear ESS users,

My administrative duties as chair of my department give me much less time to devote to my personal projects. Therefore, I fell behind a little with my Emacs distribution.

I have now glad to announce that the Windows and Mac versions of my GNU Emacs distributions have been updated to ESS 5.7.1. Please see

	http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/emacs

to download the software.

The Windows version should work on Windows 7, but I don't have a copy of the OS to do the test. Please report any difficulty to this group and, ideally, to me directly in cc.

As for the Mac version, it is still a work in progress since I have to compile Emacs from sources and I am not very much used to do this. I have been thinking to ditch the distribution in favor of Macports version of Emacs, but ESS is not in this repository. Still, I use the distribution on a daily basis and it serves me just fine. The current version is a 32-bit, Intel only application built on Snow Leopard. I'd be interested to get feedback from users of previous releases of OS X, just to know Emacs works fine there.

(Incidentally, anyone here would know how to package aspell for OS X as a standalone binary that I could distribute with Emacs. I tried to copy the build script from CarbonEmacs, but to no avail. My attempts so far has always resulted in a binary that relies on the paths used at build time.)

Cheers,

Vincent Goulet
École d'actuariat, Université Laval