[ESS] ess-remote trouble

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Tue Feb 16 23:10:22 CET 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 12:02 -0500, Dan Davison wrote:

> But no, that doesn't solve the problems with an inactive prompt when
> using ess-remote with M-x shell. However, I see that the ESS
> documentation suggests using M-x ssh, not M-x shell, and this seems to
> work fine. So perhaps I'm reporting problems with something that's not
> encouraged usage.
I've been using ESS remote without problems.  I don't recall all the
details now, but I think I used M-x shell and then ssh.  I'm on Debian
lenny, and so have the oldish ESS 5.3.8 (svn 3917).

It might help to check if the remote R is using lots of CPU (or disk
accesses if you can check that).

Perhaps the remote R is trying to popup a window and either failing, or
waiting forever for you to respond to the window.  The delay might be in
the error condition arising, e.g., from lack of resources.

Ross Boylan