[ESS] Automatic jump to error line in the source code.

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cantab.net
Sat Aug 28 21:24:55 CEST 2010

spinuvit.list at gmail.com (Vitaly S.) writes:

> Dear ESS users,
>
>>From version 2.10 R support keeping the source as an attribute of functions.
> Error report and debug functions report exact line in the source file.
>
> I wonder if someone managed to implement automatic jumping to the line of code
> where the error was reported.

Maybe this is a good cue to introduce myself; sorry about using a
slightly old message to do it.  I'm a newish R user, with roots in the
Common Lisp community; I use emacs a lot.  R is close enough to a Lisp
in its general feel that I decided to try to support R within SLIME, the
emacs mode for Lisp interaction that I use.  The current state of my
attempt is good enough to support developing itself, and though there
are a lot of missing features, one of the ones that I /have/ implemented
is a single keystroke to jump to the source location from debugger
backtraces.  (I couldn't actually work out how to get the source
location from a name or a function object from R code -- I'd be
delighted if someone can tell me how)

I've put up a description and links to source code at
<http://common-lisp.net/~crhodes/swankr/>.  I hope that it might be of
interest to some on this list.

Cheers,

Christophe