[ESS] [patch] ess-load-file not working with tramp-visited files and ess-remote

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 20 14:21:23 CEST 2010

Dear Erik,

Thanks very much for this patch.
> The following patch should allow users to submit a .R file
> visited through Tramp to a remote R process via ess-load-file,
> C-c C-l.
>
> We can currently generate an error by:
>
> 1) visiting a .R file on a remote machine through tramp
> 2) starting up R through ess-remote, or just M-x R on
>    the tramp-visited file to start up an R session
>    on that host
> 3) C-c C-l to call ess-load-file

I can repeat this, and confirm that your patch fixes the problem.  I'll
commit it now.

Thanks very much.  Thanks also for telling me about point 2b --"just M-x
R on the tramp-visited file to start up an R session on that host".  I
didn't know that would work, amazing!  I think this will need
documenting.

What is your preferred method for using tramp -- the scp method?

Stephen