[ESS] new user questions: appending to transcripts and buffer management

Erik Iverson eriki at ccbr.umn.edu
Sun Aug 15 20:32:56 CEST 2010

On 08/15/2010 01:22 PM, Charles C. Berry wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010, Andrei Jirnyi wrote:
>
>> What I think would be quite useful to have is a command to select a
>> block of
>> text in the transcript buffer, and copy it to the clipboard in such a way
>> that would (i) remove the command prompts; and (2) comment out all
>> output.
>> Also an option to select a region in the main ESS buffer, and copy it
>> to the
>> clipboard with the above done automatically, would save quite a bit of
>> manual work, at least for me -- usually I want to have at least some
>> of the
>> output as comments in the code.
>>

> I hear you.
>
> I use to work like that.

> More recently I learned about org-babel:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/index.php
>
> thanks to a posting by Eric Iverson pointing to his blog, I think. See
>
> http://blogisticreflections.wordpress.com/2010/05/23/introduction-to-using-r-with-org-babel-part-1/

Yes, that's mine.  I agree that org-mode is probably worth looking into to see
if it works for you.  I'm about 95% done with an extended introduction
to working with R source code in an org-mode buffer, which will have
examples of all the things mentioned by Charles.  I will let you know
when it is finalized.  The introduction is itself written in org-mode,
so you can follow along to see its capabilities in an interactive
document.

--Erik