[ESS] What happened to ess-transcript-clean-region ?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Aug 11 11:29:09 CEST 2010

    VS> Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> writes:
    >> What exactly did you do to get emacs to hang there ?
    >> What's your major-mode there (C-h v major-mode)?

    VS> It does not work in .R buffers (ESS). I tried it with vanilla emacs with just
    VS> ess loaded,  the same story there - emacs hangs.

Yes, thank you.

I've now committed code that just gives an error message in such
a case.

Why (on earth) do you have a mess (with R input and output) in a
.R buffer that  you want to clean?
My .R buffers may be messy sometimes, but
*not* because they'd contain things like
   "> A <- matrix(...)" instead of
     "A <- matrix(...)"

   (note the extra R prompt!)

If it's from cut&paste of e-mails or similar things, you really
need to change your work flow:
Put such things into an *.Rout buffer (open a new *.Rout file, make that writable
via C-x C-q, and then paste "the mess" in there),
and then maybe clean it.

The following issue, I have to leave to someone else,
possibly should go to a different mailing list / forum:

Martin