[ESS] How do I best set up M-x R32 and M-x R64?

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Sun Sep 20 08:46:23 CEST 2009

> Yes, that works,  Actually, I placed
> (setq ess-r-versions '("R-1" "R-2" "R32" "R64"))
> in my .emacs, before loading ess-site.el.
>
> That turns out to be all that I need to do.  If I make that change,
> I can leave my ess-5.4 installation files unchanged, I find.

great. and in general, that should be the way - change your .emacs file
 rather than the ess files.

> (defvar ess-r-versions '("R-1" "R-2" "R-devel" "R-patched"))
>
> do, in essd-r.el?  Does it do what is necessary when one has, e.g.,
> R-devel on one's path?
It should have worked - Martin requested R-devel so I hope he'll say
whether that works for him.

Did you have a byte compiled essd-r.elc file also in the dir?  in that
case, you either should have deleted the .elc file, or byte-compiled
again.

> My emacs path has the path to R32 and R64, of course.
>
> I take it, that I was misled by the lines in ess-site.el,
> as a model for what I was after:
>
> ;;(setq-default inferior-S+6-program-name "Splus8") ; unix systems
> ;;(setq-default inferior-R-program-name "R")	    ; unix systems
yes, those comments in ess-site.el (sec 1.4) look way out of date, and
are a candidate for removal - thanks for pointing that out.

Stephen