[ESS] ESS and .Rhistory

Erik Iverson erikriverson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 19:52:44 CEST 2009

Dear ESS-help,

I am using ESS 5.4, R 2.9.2, and Emacs 23.  I have the following line
in my .emacs,

(setq inferior-R-args "--no-save --no-restore --quiet")

If I start R from *a terminal* using the above command line, there is
no .Rhistory file generated when calling q() from R.  However, in ESS
5.4, I still get a .Rhistory created in the directory that R was
started in.  I have verified the R command line with commandArgs() in
the *R* buffer in Emacs.

Can anyone else replicate this?  I might check a previous version of
ESS to see if that did the same thing.

The other issue is that I cannot actually find any documentation in
the R help files or manual supporting the "--no-save" option not
writing a .Rhistory file.  I thought R might have a "--no-history"
command line option, but I cannot find any record of that either.

Best Regards,
Erik Iverson