[ESS] More help problems with ESS on Windows

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Wed Oct 28 22:41:04 CET 2009

On Oct 28, 2009, at 4:25 PM, Ross Boylan wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 13:45 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
>>
>> I hear R 2.10 is out; maybe I should try an R upgrade.
> Help with 2.10 seems to work properly.  However, it is extraordinarily
> slow the first time it displays a help page (not just the first
> page--all new pages).  I assume that this stems from pages being built
> dynamically in the new scheme, but maybe it is my anti-virus program
> (which keeps popping up alerts because a program is suspiciously
> launching IE).  I did not see much CPU use, which weighs a bit against
> the first interpretation.
>
> In addition to the html help window, emacs displays a help window
> (e.g.
> *help[R](install.packages)* with:
> Warning message:
> In help("install.packages", htmlhelp = TRUE) :
>  htmhelp = TRUE is deprecated: use help_type ="html"
>
> (That was a transcription.)
>
> Asking for help on different topics opens up new tabs; asking again
> for
> help does not open a new tab (which is good), nor does it bring the
> relevant tab to the front (which would be nice).

Ross,

I suspect that the delay on your 2.10.0 system is due to your virus
checker.  On OSX, using Emacs 23 and HTML help going to Safari, the
help page comes up in the browser in a fraction of a second.

The tabbed behavior is typically something that is adjusted in the
browser settings. I don't use IE of course, but for Safari on OSX, new
help pages come up in new tabs, not new windows, and the new tab is
focused. With Safari, if I use a sequence of:

?plot
?lm
?plot

The first opens a new tab, the second opens a new tab and the third
brings the first tab for plot to focus.

Also, you need to adjust the setting in your .Rprofile for HTML help to:

   options(help_type="html")

HTH,

Marc Schwartz