[ESS] help needed installing emacs-ess on Windows 7

Daniel Nordlund djnordlund at verizon.net
Sat Nov 28 20:38:53 CET 2009

I am trying to install Emacs and ESS on a Windows 7 system.  I downloaded the emacs-23.1-modified-3.exe bundled installer from http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/ressources/emacs/ .  The installer ran without producing any error messages, and I can see the Emacs directories with the ESS subdirectories underneath.  However, I can't seem to get an inferior R process running or evaluate any R code.  I don't know if there is something I haven't done that I should have, or if Windows 7 is doing something unexpected by the installer.  R and Emacs are in the system path.

Has anyone been successful installing this software on Windows 7?  If not, I am not wedded to this particular distribution.  I am willing to install any distribution that will work.  If someone could point me to directions for installing on Windows 7 I would be grateful.

Dan

Daniel Nordlund
Bothell, WA USA