[ESS] Scrolling of the *R* buffer at point - clarification for Aquamacs newbie

jgar jgaroftheeast at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 17:44:59 CET 2009

Hi,

Can anyone help me adapt and/or implement this fix for Aquamacs for Mac?
I'm new to emacs and to the Mac OS and can't figure out what to tweak for
the same desired results.  Just a steer in the right direction will suffice
(I hope).

Thank you!

QUOTED:   seems to me there was a change with Emacs 22 that has the effect
whenever I press <enter> in the *R* buffer, whatever is returned will
end up placing the curser on the bottom of the *R* frame (unless only
a few lines have been used since beginning the R session).

Until that change, I used to be able to keep point up from the bottom
of the frame and nothing would scroll until the bottom was reached.
For reasons I can go into if anyone is interested, I prefer that to
the new way.

Is there a nifty line or two I can put in the ~/.emacs file to restore
the good old days?  My Emacs version is
GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.16.5)

Experiment with the three emacs variables

comint-scroll-show-maximum-output
comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-input
comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-output

Rich