[ESS] help in R 2.10 Windows

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Nov 3 09:54:57 CET 2009

    RossB> On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 23:19 +0100, Martin Maechler
    RossB> wrote:
    >> I'd be glad if you could try out the new (unreleased)
    >> version of ESS and confirm that my changes fix the
    >> problem.  You can get the Windows-zip file
    >> ftp://stat.ethz.ch/U/maechler/ESS/ess-5.6.zip
    RossB> I unpacked to the top level directory before, so
    RossB> changes went to lisp.  However, the previous
    RossB> installation of ess was in site-lisp, which I assume
    RossB> has precedence.  I unpacked the new lisp directory
    RossB> over the old one and tried again.  Results were the
    RossB> same.

    RossB> The variable setting is inferior-ess-help-command is
    RossB> a variable defined in `ess-cust.el'.  Its value is
    RossB> "help(\"%s\", htmlhelp=FALSE)\n"

not good

    RossB> ?foo opens an emacs buffer on foo's help.

    RossB> ESS's opening message and ess-version variable both
    RossB> say 5.5.

not good.

It seems that you somehow don't pick up the new code.
Do you  by chance also have *.elc  files in the  lisp/ or
site-lisp/ directory in which you unpacked the new ess-5.6.zip

If yes, that would explain everything and you need to remove all
*.elc files in there (and then restart emacs again).

?

Regards, Martin